Do you ever get tired of eating the same old boring sandwiches?
Are you looking for the perfect savory party food for a baby shower, luncheons, wedding hors d’oeuvres, or just a break from the typical lunch sandwich?
Then this smoked salmon recipe is for you.
The Perfect Party Food Sandwich
What I love about this recipe is how fast, easy and CHEAP it is to make.
The smoked salmon elevates this sandwich from the mundaneness of the everyday sandwich to something special.
Use it with croissants, and you have a very beautiful, mouthwatering addition to any occasion.
Using Smoked Salmon
For the longest time, I was under the impression that smoked salmon was expensive.
This notion probably came from the times I bought the long box of smoked salmon from Alaska to give as gifts.
However, one day as I was perusing through the grocery aisles of Walmart, I happened to see something different near the tuna fish.
Small, 2.5 packages of smoked salmon!
I was so excited, especially when I saw that the price was only a couple of dollars.
I bought a bunch for lunches, and enjoyed spreading it on my Instant Pot Bagels with cream cheese and guacamole.
Substituting Greek Yogurt for Mayonnaise
If you are looking to make the sandwich even healthier, try substituting Greek yogurt for the mayonnaise.
The function of the mayo or Greek yogurt is to hold all of the sandwich salad ingredients together.
If you want a salad that is more spreadable, add more of the mayo or yogurt until you get your preferred consistency.
As for seasoning, be careful when adding any seasoning that contains extra salt.
The smoke flavoring of the salmon is a little on the salty side to begin with, and adding any extra might make it too salty to eat.
Smoked Salmon Salad Sandwiches
- 1 2.5 oz package of smoked salmon
- 1/2 cup celery diced
- 1/4 cup green onions chopped
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts (other nuts such as pecans or cashews can be used)
- 1 tbsp minced garlic
- 3 tbsp mayonnaise or Greek yogurt
- 1/2 tsp pepper, Montreal Steak seasoning, or lemon pepper (optional)
- 4 Croissants or 8 slices of white, wheat, or sour dough bread
- 1 cup baby spinach leafs or lettuce
- In a small mixing bowl combine smoked salmon, celery, green onions, walnuts and garlic.
- Then add mayonnaise or Greek yogurt until all ingredients are combined. If a thinner, more spreadable mixture is desired, add another table spoon of mayonnaise or Greek yogurt.
- If extra seasoning is desired, add it to the mixture and then mix until combined.
- Slice croissant rolls into half. Place 2-3 spinach leaves on sliced croissant roll, topping it with 2-3 tablespoons of smoked salmon salad mixture. Place other half of croissant roll on top.
- Store unused mixture in the refrigerator.
- Enjoy with soup or salad!