Do you like Green Eggs and Ham? I know that I can emphasize with Sam-I-Am as he tries to make a picky eater try to eat something new. In honor of Dr. Seuss’s book, Green Eggs and Ham, using my trusty air fryer I have come up with some tasty little snacks that would make any cranky eater love to try these delicious treats. The best part…they’re healthy!!! Since this recipe is high in protein and gluten free, these cups make the perfect breakfast, snack, or appetizer for those on the Keto diet, or who may have Celiac disease.
Tasty Kid and Keto Friendly Snacks
Growing up, I loved the story of Sam-I-Am and his persistent attempts of trying to convince a mean old, grouchy individual to try his temptingly delicious green eggs and ham. The wonderful thing about reading Dr. Seuss is that the story and illustrations are so fun, that you don’t realizing that you are learning important reading concepts as you laugh at the ridiculous places you can eat green eggs and ham. Of course, stories are even more fun when you try to recreate your favorite scenes. Whenever my mom tried to recreate the mythical green eggs and ham, lots of green food coloring was usually used in scrambled eggs. It was fine and all, but I kind of agreed with Mr. Picky, I do not like green eggs and ham.
That is, until I came up with this recipe. Instead of green food coloring, the eggs become their signature color by a healthy addition of spinach and some flavorful spices. Along with the crispy ham cup, these Green Eggs and Ham cups can please even the most picky taste buds. Since there are no wheat products used, this recipe is a great go-to for those who want a easy reheat breakfast or snack on the go who are on the Keto diet or who may have dietary restrictions such as Celiac Disease.
Green Eggs and Ham Learning Resources
Here is my list of fun online resources for Green Eggs and Ham:
Some quick notes about this recipe, you can use normal cupcake papers instead of the silicon ones, however, I would highly recommend investing in these little lifesavers. What I like about them is that they are reusable and cheap. I remember in my pre-silicon days, I would need to make cupcakes for a last minute class party, or would be scraping dried muffin bits off of my muffin pan.
Thankfully, those days are now in the past. I bought a few dozen of these silicon cupcake cups off of Amazon, and now I no longer have to worry about whether or not I have cupcake papers in the cupboard. Also, I’ve discovered several other non cupcake recipes that I can use these in for individual servings.
Green Eggs and Ham Cups
- Air Fryer
- Silicon muffin/cupcake baking cups
- 1 8 oz cream cheese softened
- 5 eggs
- 2 cups fresh spinach
- 1/8 tsp salt
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1 tsp dill
- 2 tsp rosemary
- 18 slices ham deli meat make sure it is gluten-free if you have a gluten sensitivity
- Turn your air fryer onto 300 degrees. Allow to preheat for 3 minutes. Do not put in air fryer basket yet.
- Meanwhile, place eggs, softened cream cheese, rinsed spinach, salt, and spices into blender. Blend until mixture is smooth.
- In each cupcake cup, place one slice of ham. Press down so that ham takes on the shape of the cupcake cup.
- Pour mixture into ham cups. Only fill cups up to 3/4th of the way. Place filled ham cups into air fryer basket. Make sure cups are not touching so that air can pass through and have access to all sides of the cups. A rack may be used to add another layer of cups. However, the top level will get slightly more done than the bottom.
- Place basket into air fryer. Air Fry for 11 minutes depending on elevation (mine is around 3,ooo ft above sea level). If you are unsure, begin checking around 10 minutes. Cups are done when egg mixture is no longer jiggly.
- Remove air fryer basket from air fryer, and then remove cups from the basket. Allow the green eggs and ham cups to cool.
- Once fully cooled, remove green eggs and ham cups from silicon cups.